Wednesday, April 25, 2007

lighten up, francis



My apologies for yesterday's angry post--not all days spent writing are sunshiny and inspired, but that doesn't mean I need to spew negativity, either. Who knows how many dreams lay dashed as the result of my rant on Romantic Writing. Oh, the horror.

After posting, I paced around my apartment a bit, watched my neighbor mow his law, watered my plants and then it hit me--I'd forgotten Matt Groening's excellent advice via his "Life in Hell" comic strip. All I needed to do was leave off the writing and pick up a book. Which I did. A real page turner, despite the dry title.

That, and I needed to chill out. Sometimes I forget that, too.

1 comment:

Suzy Greenberg said...

You're allowed to be mad about "stupid dissertations" and things you must do to get from one place to another when really you just want to skip ahead to the final resting point. And wouldn't it be nice if everyone who was good at something, like writing, could do only that in life and be satisfied? In a utopian world, we'd all be crayon organizers and split-end pickers (my specialty).

I say write and write and write and be happy knowing that it makes you happy.